- Columbia Center for Contemporary Critical Though
- Registration required. See details.
1/13 | THE MODERN CONCEPT OF REVOLUTION
Etienne Balibar (Columbia University)
Simona Forti (Columbia University)
Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak (Columbia University)
Moderated by Bernard E. Harcourt and Jesús R. Velasco
The purpose of this seminar series is to explore various modalities of uprising, disobedience, inservitude, revolt, or other forms of political contestation. Instead of including them all under the name of “revolution”—a term that has become conceptually and historically fraught—the seminar will consider how specific experiences and discourses articulate new forms of upheaval or reformulate well-known ones. By focusing on this conceptual, historical and political problematic, we intend to shine a light on experiences and manifestations that take place at the local and at the global level, as well as at the subjective and the collective level. The idea is to articulate how critical political practice is expressed and understood today.
Uprising 13/13 will look much like the two previous CCCCT seminar series, namely Foucault 13/13 and Nietzsche 13/13. At each session, two or three guests, from different disciplines, will be invited to present on the themes of the seminar. Each seminar will host specialists from across the disciplines, from Columbia University and from outside campus. With two exceptions—Breaking Silence, which will be held in the Nave of Riverside Church, and Disobedience, which will be hosted at Columbia Global Centers—Paris, all seminars will be held at various locations around Columbia University. Visit the series websitefor more details on the readings, guests, and themes of each seminar and the series as a whole.
The seminars will be open to all. If you are interested in attending, please email Anna Krauthamer at [email protected]
- Speaker Etienne Balibar Visiting Professor of French and Romance Philology Columbia University
- Speaker Simona Forti Professor of History of Political Philosophy Università del Piemonte Orientale
- Speaker Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak University Professor Columbia University
- Moderator Bernard E. Harcourt Isidor and Seville Sulzbacher Professor of Law and Director, Columbia Center for Contemporary Critical Thought Columbia University
- Moderator Jesús R. Velasco Professor, Department of Latin American and Iberian Cultures Columbia University