- The New School of Social Research
Please join colleagues, admirers, and members of the Hobsbawm family for the New York memorial event celebrating the life and work of world-renowned historian Eric Hobsbawm (1917–2012).
The afternoon of tributes and music will feature speakers Robin Blackburn, Victoria de Grazia, Barbara Fields, Eric Foner, Oz Frankel, Ira Katznelson, Will Milberg, Amartya Sen, and others.
An informal reception will follow.
Eric Hobsbawm taught at The New School for Social Research from 1984 to 1996, first as a University Professor and then as Visiting Professor. He had a longstanding intellectual and cultural affinity with New York City, as historian, scholar, and celebrated jazz critic.
His many books include The Age of Revolution: 1789–1848; The Age of Capital: 1848–1875; The Age of Empire: 1875–1914; and The Age of Extremes: 1914–1991, which are widely considered masterpieces of political and social history.
To RSVP, please visit hobsbawmtribute.eventbrite.com.
- Robin Blackburn Professor University of Essex
- Victoria de Grazia Moore Collegiate Professor of History Columbia University
- Barbara J. Fields Professor of History Columbia University
- Eric Foner DeWitt Clinton Professor of History Columbia University
- Oz Frankel Historical Studies Department Chair, Associate Professor of History New School for Social Research
- Ira Katznelson Ruggles Professor of Political Science and History Columbia University
- William Milberg Professor of Economics and Dean of New School of Social Research New School for Social Research
- Amartya Sen Thomas W. Lamont University Professor Harvard University