The Friends of the Heyman Center, under the direction of Gareth Williams, Anthon Professor of Latin Language and Literature, is a treasured group of people who want continued intellectual engagement with Columbia while also ensuring the advancement and vitality of the SOF/Heyman. For more than twenty-five years, donations from our Friends have contributed to a variety of activities, most significantly, the Lionel Trilling Seminar, which is free and open to the public. Friends have special access to the Carl Hovde Colloquia as well as other events planned exclusively for this cherished group of supporters.
To make an online, tax-deductible donation, please click on the link below and be sure to select "Friends of the Heyman Center" and indicate your gift level in the space provided for notes.
- Old Friends, New Friends: Salmagundi Affair ($125)--Lecture by Gareth Williams; dinner and drinks at the Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, New York City [limited to 30 attendees: first come, first served]
- Old Friends, New Friends: Saturday colloquium ($250) – Participation in Saturday colloquium at the Heyman Center (late October or early November) with dinner, drinks, and further conversation at the home of a Friend [limited to 25 attendees]
- Virtual Friend ($250) – Participation in Professor Liza Knapp’s online, six-part Fall colloquium: Two by Tolstoy
- Friend ($500) – Participation in one online colloquium during the year (fall or spring), cost-free invitation to the Salmagundi event OR the Saturday colloquium and dinner, and reserved front area seat for in-person SOF/Heyman events.
- Supporter ($750) – Participation in two online colloquia during the 2022-23 academic year, cost-free invitation to the Salmagundi event Saturday OR the Saturday colloquium and dinner, and reserved front area seat for in-person SOF/Heyman events.
- Benefactor ($1500) – Participation in all Friends colloquia and in-person events (including Salmagundi lecture and dinner and Saturday colloquium and dinner) throughout the year, reserved front area seating for all SOF/Heyman in-person events, and an invitation to join for dinner with a SOF/Heyman event speaker and other participants.
Early Access and Invitations to Select SOF/Heyman Events
While anyone is welcome to register for events at the SOF/Heyman, as a thank you for their generous support, Friends enjoy special privileges such as early access to space-limited events and colloquia, exclusive events, and VIP invitations to social events. These events include:
Carl Hovde Colloquia
Discussion-based colloquia named in honor of Carl Hovde and led by some of Columbia's most renowned teachers and scholars. Open to alumni and friends of the University who wish to continue organized education without the need for academic credit.
Lionel Trilling Seminar
Lionel Trilling (1905-75), one of Columbia's most celebrated faculty members, was among the great humanist scholars and public intellectuals of the 20th century. In his memory, SOF/Heyman sponsors a series of intellectual conversations, known as the Lionel Trilling Seminars.
To make your donation though the Columbia Giving Portal:Give Now!
Contributions made through the link above are processed more quickly. But you may also send a check to:
Mail Code: 5700
New York, New York 10027